1 small bunch green onions, divided
1 small lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. minced fresh thyme leaves
1 lb. slender asparagus stalks, tough ends removed
- Cut green tops from green onions, and set tops aside. Finely mince one scallion bulb. Reserve remaining bulbs to use in another recipe.
- Grate 1 tsp. zest from outside of lemon, and place in small jar with tight-fitting lid. Juice lemon, and add lemon juice to jar. Add minced green onion, olive oil, and thyme, and shake until well blended and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange asparagus spears in vegetable steamer, and steam over boiling water 2–3 minutes, until bright green and crisp-tender. Add green onion tops to steamer on top of asparagus. Return lid to steamer, and let green onion tops wilt briefly, about 30 seconds.
- Remove vegetables from steamer, cool until just easy to handle, and divide asparagus into four bundles. Tie one or two pieces of green onion around center of each bundle.
- To serve, arrange bundles on platter or individual plates. Drizzle vinaigrette over each bundle, and serve with additional dressing on the side.
per serving: 147 cal; 2g pro; 14g total fat (2g sat fat); 5g carb; 0mg chol; 11mg sod; 2g fiber; 1g sugars
Related article: Beauty Foods