Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
This stylized, lighter-than-you-think dessert combines two Big Easy classics—Bananas Foster and bread pudding—into a doubly flavorful dish. We start by swapping traditional French bread with gluten-free bread. The key to a good texture is dry or slightly stale bread; if you use fresh, moist bread, the consistency will be wet and gooey, without the trademark tender bite of a good bread pudding. To dry out too-fresh bread, toast the cubes for 10 minutes in a 350°F oven. Instead of heavy cream, we used evaporated skim milk, and cut the eggs in half, then studded the bread pudding with currants for extra sweetness. Using bananas and rum flavor for a sauce instead of the typical butter and whiskey sauce introduces the flavors of Bananas Foster, while reducing sugar and slashing fat.
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. salt, or to taste
- 4 cups stale gluten-free bread cubes (about ½ inch cubes)
- ¼ cup dried currants or raisins
- 3 large, very ripe bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup rum or 1 Tbs. rum extract
- 2 Tbs. melted butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 9x5-inch loaf pan with oil or cooking spray, and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, egg, egg whites, brown sugar, 1 Tbs. vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Add bread cubes, and stir gently to mix. Stir in currants. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring frequently to keep bread cubes coated in liquid.
- While bread is soaking, combine bananas, rum or rum extract, melted butter if using, and remaining 2 tsp. vanilla in a blender. Purée until very smooth and creamy.
- Spoon half of bread mixture into prepared loaf pan. Drizzle some of the banana sauce over bread mixture. Spoon remaining bread mixture into pan, on top of sauce. Bake 45 minutes, or until set in center.
- While bread pudding is baking, warm remaining banana sauce mixture if desired (it can also be served at room temperature). To serve, remove bread pudding from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces, and serve immediately with banana sauce drizzled on top.
Calories: 340 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 55g Sugar: 21g Sodium: 105mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 8g Cholesterol: 70mg
For more Mardi Gras Remix recipes – Mardi Gras Remix