Cauliflower is a more nutritious stand-in for the typical white potatoes in this creamy vegan gratin, which ditches the calorie-packed cheese sauce in favor of a rich, protein-packed, and dairy-free sauce. For a more traditional flavor, you can use regular white potatoes, or try Japanese sweet potatoes
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into
- florets (5–6 cups)
- 1 large (about ½ lb.) leek, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into half moons
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 11/4 cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed in garlic press
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine cauliflower and leeks on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss with your hands to mix. Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While cauliflower is roasting, combine almond milk, cashew butter, nutritional yeast, and garlic in a blender. Purée until smooth and creamy. Season to taste
- with salt. Transfer to a small saucepan and simmer to warm.
- Remove roasted cauliflower and leeks from oven and combine with “cheese” sauce in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Return to oven, and bake 5–7 minutes longer, until mixture is hot.
- Divide between individual serving
- dishes, sprinkle with chives, and
- serve hot.
Calories: 200 Fat: 13g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 17g Sugar: 5g Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 8g Cholesterol: 135
See more Paleo vegan recipes at: The Paleo Vegan