Cilantro gives this classic—and super-easy-to-make dish—a Mexican flare and more complex flavor. To make this dish vegan, simply swap the cheddar for a nondairy brand such as Daiya or Follow Your Heart.
- 1 lb. dry, organic whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; reserve ½ cup pasta water, and drain pasta.
- Combine cheddar, cilantro, and scallions in large bowl. Add macaroni and pasta water, and stir until cheese melts; season with salt and pepper.
Calories: 510 Fat: 20g Saturated fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 57g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 350mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 24g Cholesterol: 60mg
For ideas on how to Mac-imize Your Mac-n-Cheese: Easy Mac-n-Cheese