A quick-and-easy take on a comfort-food classic
Think making mac-n-cheese from scratch is a chore? Get outside the box with this delicious recipe that comes together almost as quickly as that processed, prepackaged stuff.
Mac-imize Your Mac-n-Cheese
- Turn any bowl of mac-n-cheese into a meal with veg-friendly add-ins:
- Vegetarian chili*—pour over the top for a quick and comforting dinner.
- Meatless sausage—slice and add after the mac-n-cheese is done cooking.
- Meatless meatballs—serve alongside mac-n-cheese or mix together before serving.
- Soy bacon—crumble and add right before serving.
- Vegan tuna—add a can of Vegan Toona for a tuna melt-style dish.
Cilantro gives this classic—and super-easy-to-make dish—a Mexican flare and more complex flavor. To make this dish vegan, simply swap the cheddar for a nondairy brand such as Daiya or Follow Your Heart.
- 1 lb. dry, organic whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; reserve ½ cup pasta water, and drain pasta.
- Combine cheddar, cilantro, and scallions in large bowl. Add macaroni and pasta water, and stir until cheese melts; season with salt and pepper.
Calories: 510 Fat: 20g Saturated fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 57g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 350mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 24g Cholesterol: 60mg
See our Vegetarian Chili recipe. It goes perfectly with Easy Mac-n-Cheese.