Grilled Shrimp with Mango Salsa
If using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before using, to avoid burning. You can also sauté shrimp on the stovetop in a large skillet with a little oil. Serve on Cilantro-Lime “Rice,” or atop a bed of fresh or lightly wilted spinach or other greens
- 2 lbs. large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen mango cubes (about 2 large mangoes)
- 1 medium serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 small red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ fresh lime
- Combine shrimp, olive oil, cumin, and red pepper flakes in large bowl, and stir to mix. Let stand 20–30 minutes, or refrigerate 2–3 hours if time allows.
- In medium bowl, combine mango, Serrano chili, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, and lime. Stir to mix well, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 20–30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Salsa can be made ahead of time, up to 24 hours in advance.
- Preheat grill to medium and lightly oil racks. Thread shrimp on skewers, and grill 4–5 minutes, turning once, until just cooked through and opaque.
- To serve, arrange shrimp on bed of greens. Top with mango salsa, and serve immediately.
Calories: 170 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 9g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 640mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 16g Cholesterol: 145mg
For more Cinco de Mayo recipes: Cinco de Mayo Spa Cuisine
Food photography by Pornchai Mittongtare
Food styling by Jeanne Kelley
Prop styling by Robin Turk