Pumpernickel Toasts with Smoked Salmon & Avocado Cream Cheese
Avocado adds a smooth, buttery note to this bagel and lox-style recipe, and it provides a nice contrast to the salty smoked salmon.
- 12 large slices pumpernickel bread, halved, brushed with extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. organic cream cheese, softened
- 1 large avocado
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh dill
- 2 tsp. minced lemon zest
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. capers
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 oz. sliced wild smoked salmon
- 1 cup thinly sliced English cucumbers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh dill sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toast bread on a baking sheet until crisped, 10 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese, avocado, minced dill, zest, and lemon juice, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread bread with avocado cream cheese, then top with capers, red onion, salmon, and cucumbers.
- Drizzle toasts with oil, season with salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes, then garnish with dill sprigs
Calories: 240 Fat: 13g Saturated fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 16g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 270mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 15g Cholesterol: 50mg
For a list of 10 foods for your brain – Your Brain on Food