Watermelon & Strawberry Granita
Cool off with this traditional Italian semi-frozen dessert. We used a Vita-mix to make this recipe.
Author: Neil Zevnik
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: Serves 8
- ⅓ cup organic sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 5 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup hulled, halved strawberries
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. microplaned lime zest
- Mint sprigs for garnish, optional
- Combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients, including sugar water, into blender, and process until smooth. (Depending on blender capacity, you may need to do this in batches.) Pour mixture into a 9x13 metal pan, and place in the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, scrape and stir with a fork.
- After about 2 hours, Granita should be close to frozen. Give it a last scrape and stir, then divide among chilled bowls, and garnish with mint sprigs.