Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Moist and chewy, these dark chocolate brownies will satisfy the most serious cravings. Do not overbake. They’ll seem wet, but they continue to bake after they’re out of the oven.
Makes 20 brownies
1 ½ cups walnuts or pecans
3 cups natural chicory root sweetener (a second choice is 4 cups erythritol)
1 cup medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
¾ cup pure cacao powder
1 Tbs. roasted carob powder (optional)
1 ½ tsp. coffee powder
½ tsp. unprocessed salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutritional yeast (optional, for butter flavor)
½ cup warm filtered water or unsweetened coconut milk
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ tsp. chocolate extract (optional)
1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
½ cup roasted almond butter
2 Tbs. raw yacon syrup (optional)
1⁄3 cup coconut oil
Powdered erythritol, for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. Chop nuts coarsely in food processor and place in large mixing bowl.
2. In dry food processor fitted with “S” blade, grind 1 cup chicory root sweetener to fine powder. Add shredded coconut. Spin 1 minute until mixture forms fine powder. Stir, and grind again until powder is uniformly fine.
3. Add cacao powder, roasted carob powder, coffee powder, salt, baking powder, and nutritional yeast. Mix well, place in bowl with nuts, and mix again.
4. Place remaining 2 cups of chicory root sweetener in empty food processor and grind to a fine powder. Add ½ cup warm filtered water (or unsweetened coconut milk). Mix until the sweetener is dissolved. Add eggs, chocolate extract (if using), vanilla, almond butter, yacon syrup (if using), and coconut oil. Mix until all ingredients are totally incorporated.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture. Stir briefly. The batter will be very thick. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
6. Bake 24–25 minutes, and remove from oven. Allow to cool completely, 1–2 hours, in pan on a rack. Use paper handles to lift cake onto a cutting board. Dust with powdered erythritol. Cut into 20 squares and enjoy!
PER SERVING: 200 cal; 5.8 g prot; 17 g fat (7.6 g sat fat); 14.5 g carb; 28 mg chol; 80 mg sod; 11 g fiber; 1 g sugars