Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
- 1 Tbs. grapeseed oil
- 1 3-lb. bison clod roast
- 1 large brown onion, sliced and quartered
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups robust red wine, such as a Spanish Garnacha
- 4 cups low-sodium organic beef broth
- 2 Tbs. organic tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 3 Tbs. orange zest, julienned
- Heat grapeseed oil in large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add roast, and sear meat on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium; sauté onions in olive oil until softened. Add garlic, and cook for one minute more. Add wine, and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Add broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and orange zest, and return to a boil.
- Pour liquid over meat in slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high until meat is cooked through, about 5 hours. Remove roast from slow cooker, loosely tent with aluminum foil, and set aside. Pour sauce back into large pot over medium-high heat, and boil, uncovered, until reduced by one-third.
- Carefully cut meat into thick slices, place on deep platter, and pour 1 cup of sauce over top. Pass more sauce on the side.
per serving: 274 cal; 37g pro; 10g total fat (3g sat fat); 5g carb; 109mg chol; 171mg sod; 1g fiber; 2g sugars
Related article:The Other Red Meat