Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Makes 8 mini-scones
Applesauce adds sweetness, moisture, and lightness to these grain-free scones. We used molasses as a super-simple glaze, but you can also make a vanilla glaze: Refrigerate a can of coconut milk, and skim the cream from the top; transfer to a bowl, stir in 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 Tbs. honey, then drizzle mixture over cooled muffins.
11/2 cups almond flour, plus more for rolling
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup currants
Molasses for glaze (about 1 Tbs.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment.
- In large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In separate bowl, beat together eggs and applesauce until smooth. Stir in currants. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Transfer dough to flat surface. Using lightly moistened hands, form dough into ball. Flatten top slightly to make dome shape, and cut into 8 wedges. Carefully transfer to cookie sheet, and bake 17-20 minutes, until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and let cool 10 minutes. When scones are cooled, drizzle tops of each with molasses. Serve at room temperature.
per scone: 220 cal; 8g pro; 13g total fat (2g sat fat); 21g carb; 70mg chol; 190mg sod; 4g fiber; 13g sugars
Food photography by Pornchai Mittongtare; food styling by Liesl Maggiore; prop styling by Robin Turk
For more recipes and article, see Beyond Gluten-Free.