Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Makes 7 burgers
Enjoy these vegan burgers on a sprouted-grain roll with chipotle mayo, pickles, organic ketchup, and avocado.
½ red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
½ medium red or yellow onion, cut into chunks
2 cups baby spinach leaves
½ bunch cilantro
¾ cup cooked brown rice
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbs. tomato paste
½ tsp. sea salt
1½–2 cups gluten-free bread crumbs
Extra virgin olive oil for browning
1. In food processor, purée pepper, onion, spinach, and cilantro until liquid. Scrape into a medium-sized bowl.
2. In food processor, purée brown rice and chickpeas together into a paste, then add to veggie mixture.
3. Add chili powder, tomato paste, and salt.
4. Stir together (best done with your hands) to make sure all ingredients are well-combined.
5. Add bread crumbs and combine until mixture sticks together. If the burgers feel too wet, add a touch more bread crumbs.
6. Form into patties and cook in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat, until browned on both sides.
Tip:Make a double batch, wrap each burger individually, and keep them in your freezer.
PER SERVING: 150 CAL; 6 G PROT; 5 G FAT (1 G SAT FAT); 20 G CARB; 0 mg CHOL; 520 MG SOD; 4 G FIBER
Makes ¼ cup
¼ cup grapeseed Vegenaise (such as Follow Your Heart)
¼ tsp. chipotle chili powder
½ tsp. agave nectar
Stir ingredients together in a small bowl.
PER SERVING: 90 CAL; 0 G PROT; 9 G FAT (1.5 G SAT FAT); 2 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 85 MG SOD; 0 G FIBER
Recipes from The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook: 125+ Delectable Plant-Based Vegan Recipes for a Fit, Happy, Healthy You by Melissa Costello.