Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
From: Shaun Doty | Executive Chef & Co-Owner Bantam + Biddy, Chick-A-Biddy | Atlanta
TIME TO TABLE: 10 to 15 minutes
DEGREE OF DIFFICULT Y: Easy
2 cups best-quality sheep’s milk ricotta
1 cup arils from P∂M Wonderful Pomegranates
(or 1 cup P∂M P∂MS Fresh Arils)
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 bulb fennel, shaved fine (reserve some tops for garnish)
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons fennel pollen
½ cup walnuts
salt and fresh black pepper
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.*
- In a bowl combine arils, shaved fennel, shallots, orange juice, extra-virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- Season with salt and a few twists of fresh black pepper, and toss to combine. Allow to marinate for a few minutes.
- Divide ricotta equally into the bottom of four shallow bowls.
- Arrange salad over the top of each bowl.
- Pour remaining juices over salad.
- Arrange walnuts over salad, garnish with some green fennel tops and finish each bowl with a teaspoon dusting of fennel pollen.
*To prepare fresh arils, score 1-2 large P∂M Wonderful Pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)