ORANGE GARNET YAM PIE
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
One bite of this yummy yam dessert, and you’ll never want pumpkin pie again!
Makes 8–12 slices
2 cups blanched almond flour
2 tsp. xylitol
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1⁄3 cup almond oil or melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
4 medium garnet yams
½ of a 12.3-oz. box firm silken tofu, drained
Juice and zest of 1 naval orange
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. cloves
1 tsp. vanilla stevia
1. To Make Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch deep-dish pie plate lightly with cooking spray, and set aside. Whisk together almond flour, xylitol, soda, and salt in bowl. Add almond oil and vanilla, and mix until combined.
2. Transfer contents to prepared pie pan, and pat into a thin, even layer to cover pan. Press crust firmly into place with moistened or lightly oiled fingers. Bake 10 minutes and cool before filling.
3. To Make Pie: Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub sweet potatoes well, pat dry, and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour, or until soft. Cool, and reset oven to 350°F.
4. Add tofu to food processor, and process until smooth. Slice baked potatoes open, and scoop flesh into food processor. Discard skins. Add orange juice and zest, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and vanilla stevia. Process until smooth, scraping down sides, as necessary.
5. Fill crust with yam mixture, and bake 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled.
PER SERVING: 255 cal; 7 g pro; 19 g total fat (1 g sat fat); 17 g carb; 0 mg chol; 123 mg sod; 4 g fiber; 6 g sugars