Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This fermented cheese recipe takes a little longer, but it’s worth the effort. In addition to a mild bite from the aging process, you’ll also get beneficial bacteria.
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw cashew butter
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp. white miso
2 probiotics capsules
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. truffle oil (optional)
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- Soak cashews in filtered water to cover, 3-6 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Combine cashews in food processor with cashew butter, warm water, miso, and contents of probiotics capsules. Purée until smooth and creamy. Transfer to glass bowl, cover with cheesecloth, and let stand in warm place, 24-48 hours, depending on desired ripeness.
- Transfer fermented cheese to food processor, and add melted coconut oil, nutritional yeast, and salt. Add truffle oil, if desired. Purée until creamy.
- Line ramekin with plastic bag, and sprinkle inside with black pepper. Pack fermented cheese tightly into ramekin, and chill 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers or sliced pears. Refrigerate remainder for 7-10 days.
per serving: 295 cal; 6g pro; 28g total fat (14g sat fat); 10g carb; 0mg chol; 340mg sod; 1g fiber; 1g sugars
Related article:Say yes to Vegan Cheese