Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
These audacious spicy-and-sweet almonds make a great gift (distribute cooled almonds in jars or cellophane bags and tie with ribbon). They’re perfect party munchies, too.
Makes 3 cups (serves 12)
1 egg white
2 Tbs. high-quality cocoa powder
3 Tbs. xylitol
¼ tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup raw unsalted almonds
1 cup raw unsalted cashews
1 cup raw unsalted hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg white for at least 30 seconds until light and foamy.
3. Add cocoa, xylitol, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and cloves, and whisk together until smooth. Stir in nuts until all are well coated.
4. Spoon nuts onto prepared cookie sheet in a single layer.
5. Bake 7 minutes, and stir nuts. Bake 7 minutes more (be careful not to overcook or they will scorch).
6. Allow nuts to cool completely and break them up, if necessary. They will harden as they cool. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.
PER SERVING: 219 cal; 7 g prot; 18 g total fat (2 g sat fat); 9 g carb; 0 mg chol; 54 mg sod; 3 g fiber; 2 g sugars