Sweet and Salty Sunflower Seed Torte
Sweet and Salty Sunflower Seed Torte recipe.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1½ cups finely ground pretzel crumbs
1⁄3 cup honey
6 Tbs. unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 375° F. Mix pretzel crumbs, honey, and butter in a food processor until ingredients start to come together as a sandy, crumbly dough. Press it into the bottom of a 9” springform pan. Bake for 7 minutes. Cool.
1 cup cold whole milk
4 (1⁄4 ounce) packets unflavored gelatin
3 cups plain Greek style yogurt
2 cups honey
16 ounces sunflower seed butter
1. Whisk the gelatin into the cold milk and allow it to stand for 5 minutes. Dissolve the gelatin in the milk by placing it in a microwave safe dish. Put it in the microwave for 10 second intervals until completely liquefied. Whisk the mixture between microwaving intervals. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the yogurt, honey, sunflower seed butter, and cooled gelatin. Beat on high until the mixture is completely smooth and even in color. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
3. Transfer the mixture to the springform pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. To serve, remove the sides of the springform pan. Garnish the slices with sunflower seed bark (recipe follows).
1 cup broken pretzel pieces, about ¼” each
1 cup roasted, salted sunflower seed kernels
12 ounces dark chocolate (70% or darker)
1. In a heat safe bowl, combine the pretzel pieces and the sunflower seeds.
2. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Pour the melted chocolate over the pretzels and seeds. Toss lightly to cover.
3. Spread the mixture out on a lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to use. Break into pieces and use to garnish the tops of the torte slices.
PER SERVING (makes 18 servings): 569 CAL; 12.5 G PROT; 33 G FAT (11.5 G SAT FAT); 64 G CARB; 18 MG CHOL; 374 MG SOD; 5 G FIBER; 45 G SUGARS