When people find out what I do for a living, they frequently ask for advice on what supplements to take for this or that condition. From my early start as a supplement editor (I've been working in this field for more than 17 years now), I've had a passion for helping people find great natural products to enhance their lives.
Supplements, in particular, have made a big difference in my life. And people often want to know what I take on a daily basis. With the help of a very skilled integrative health practitioner (http://www.drjeanetteryan.com), I take the following nutrients (as supplements) daily:
- Vitamin C (a whole-food source from organic berries)
- Biotin-for hair, skin and nail health; my nails tend to peel and break easily and this B vitamin has really helped prevent that. As a side note: I also just started using No-Miss New Nails Nail Strengthener and have noticed that my nails are stronger and healthier than they have ever been. After doing some research online, I discovered I was having a reaction to conventional nail hardeners (and polish)-some people can actually be "allergic" to the chemicals used in these formulas, suffering from weak, splitting nails.
- Cordyceps mushroom-for energy and immune health (I take this first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything and it gives me a gentle boost that I love.) This supplement has also been shown to help increase testosterone in men and improve exercise performance.
- Multivitamin-this is a must for everyone.
- Probiotics-for overall health, including digestive and immune health; I always notice a difference in my health (and even my skin!) if I skip taking this supplement. I rarely come down with colds or the flu, and I think probiotics one of the main reasons for that.
- Omega-3 Fats-for overall health, hormone balance, optimal brain function. I am currently using a vegetarian form of DHA (Life's DHA) that comes from algae. But I also love regular fish oil supplements.
- Folic acid-for mood and hormone balance (I use the newer, more bioavailable/absorbable form of this B vitamin, listed as 5-MTHF or L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate on labels).
- Green foods-for energy, detox, immunity, and gallbladder health (chlorophyll-rich nutrients help detoxify and process fat, which improves gallbladder health).
- Artichoke Extract-for gallbladder health. I have gallstones (diagnosed through an ultrasound). Fortunately, I haven't needed surgery, but I've experienced a few "attacks" from the gallstones that were painful and uncomfortable. According to Jeanette Ryan, DC (my practitioner), artichoke is extremely calming and nourishing for the gallbladder. She suggested I either eat artichoke every day or take an extract. I noticed a huge difference once I started taking the tablets daily-no more pain or digestive issues associated with my gallbladder.
- Milk Thistle-this is one of my favorite herbs. It cleanses the liver, helps regenerate new liver cells, and, among many other things, is very high in antioxidants. I've noticed my skin looks better when I use this daily.
- Turmeric-for inflammation and liver health.
- CoQ10, as Kaneka QH ubiquinol (this form is easier to absorb and utilize, according to studies). This is one of my all-time favorite supplements. It supports natural energy levels, heart health, immunity, and brain function. It can also be very easily depleted with age and through the use of certain prescription medications, especially cholesterol-lowering drugs. Please consider taking this nutrient if you are using any kind of drug for high cholesterol.
Come back the first week of October to read more about which supplements I use daily. For Part 2, I'll tell you about the supplements that have helped me the most when it comes to lifting my mood and easing anxiety. I'll also share my favorite supplements for brain health and hormone balance (e.g., PMS, perimenopause, menopause).
You can email me directly with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to hear from you, and also would love to hear which supplements you take on a daily basis.