Toward the end of the 1990s, a faction of nutritionists, researchers, and doctors—most notably Robert C. Atkins, MD—started speaking out against the fat-free diets that were popular at the time. These experts maintained that fat wasn’t the problem. Instead it was simple carbohydrates made with refined flour, such as bread, pasta, cereal, and crackers.
Getting enough protein and limiting carbs became the new way to eat healthy, lose weight, and ward off cardiovascular and other diseases. Low-carb shakes, bars, chips, bread, no-sugar desserts, and other products began crowding health food store shelves. And new stores started sprouting up across the country that catered exclusively to the low-carb lifestyle.
In the years since, some of the details have changed, but the low-carb revolution is still with us, as evidenced by the current popularity of the Keto diet and similar eating plans.
5 Diet & Health Books that were Popular in the ’90s
- Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution by Robert C. Atkins, MD
- Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F. Balch, MD, and Phyllis A. Balch, CNS
- Protein Power by Michael Eades and Mary Dan Eades
- The Zone Diet by Barry Sears, PhD
- Spontaneous Healing by Andrew Weil, MD
The Story of Better Nutrition
Better Nutrition was founded by Jack Schwartz in 1938. Schwartz returned from the military with a business idea—start a magazine about nutrition. He loved helping friends and family find natural solutions to health problems, and he figured others would be interested in this too. He saw an opportunity to fill a niche and, at the same time, satisfy his passion for health and nutrition. And just like that, Better Nutrition magazine was born. Fall back in time with us this year as we revisit popular trends in nutrition, vitamins, recipes, and more with this limited-edition section.
Try our Atkins Coconut Cookies recipe.
80 Years of Better Nutrition:
- Better Nutrition in the 1930s – The Grapefruit Diet
- Better Nutrition in the 1940s – The Original Master Cleanse
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 1 – Gelatin Molds
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 2 – Wheat Germ
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 1 – Granola
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 2 – Fondue
- Better Nutrition in the 1970s, Adelle Davis
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 1 – Fit for Life
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 2 – Bran
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 1 – Low-Fat Diets
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 2 – Low-Carb Diets