1. For the best nutrition, bone broth should be made only with actual bones, not other animal parts.
2. Among its benefits, bone broth can strengthen:
3. Bone broth is part of the official diet of which sports team?
a) Los Angeles Lakers
b) New England Patriots
c) Miami Dolphins
4. Vinegar is sometimes added to help draw minerals out of bones. What type of vinegar should be used?
b) Red wine
c) White wine
d) Apple cider
e) Any type
5. Bone broth can help you lose weight.
6. Vegetarians can't benefit from the bone-broth principle.
7. Collagen, the "glue" that binds tissues and maintains structure in every part of the human body, is found in the connective tissue of animal parts but not in the bones themselves.
8. Bone broth should be simmered for how long?
a) 3-4 hours
b) 5-10 hours
c) 10-15 hours
d) 12-24 hours
Did You Know?
Broths have a centuries-long history of healing uses, from joint repair to digestive wellness.
1. b) Cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and small bits of meat attached to bones all contain valuable nutrients, including collagen, and are beneficial in making bone broth. Chicken broth can be made with a whole chicken. Meat can be taken out of the pot after it separates from the bones, and eaten separately or in the soup.
2. c) The gelatin in bone broth helps strengthen both hair and nails.
3. a) Bone broth is part of the official diet of the Los Angeles Lakers.
4. e) The acidity in vinegar draws out minerals, regardless of the type of vinegar. However,vinegars with additives, such as sugar or coloring, are not recommended. Some people prefer unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar.
5. a) Studies have shown that when people eat soup before a meal, they eat less food overall. Bone broth makes a good meal-starter soup because unlike some soups, it doesn't contain cream and is rich in nutrients. In addition, it may alter gut bacteria in a way that supports a healthy weight.
6. b) While vegetarians would not make broth from bones or other animal parts, Louise Hay, author of Heal Your Body and other books, recommends making a nutritious vegetable broth. Cover whole vegetables and vegetable scraps with water and simmer for 8-24 hours.
7. b) Collagen is found in bones, marrow, and connective tissue. Long, slow simmering of bones extracts it and makes it bioavailable in bone broth.
8. d) Simmering for 12-24 hours is generally recommended.