Quiz: Are You Wasting Food?
Food waste is a bigger issue than we may think. Worldwide, one-third of all food is wasted, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Take this quiz and learn how you can cut down on food waste.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Of all the food available in the United States, how much of it is wasted?
If a product has a “use by” date, it is unsafe to eat after that date.
c) It depends on the food
Products with a “best by” date may be perfectly safe to eat after that date.
In the average American household of four, how much money is wasted each year by throwing away food?
Before being cooked, which of these can be stored in your refrigerator for the longest time?
a) Ground meat
c) Whole cuts of red meat
When refrigerated, which of these cheeses lasts longest after opening?
a) Blocks of hard cheese, such as cheddar or Swiss
b) Shredded or grated Parmesan
c) Cream cheese
d) Cottage cheese
If you buy fresh eggs at the farmer’s market, how long will they keep in the refrigerator?
a) 3 weeks
b) 2 weeks
c) 1 week
1. c) In the United States, 40 percent of food is wasted, ending up in landfills and contributing to methane gas emissions, according to a report by the Natural Resources Defense Council.
2. c) According to the USDA, “use by” may refer to the best quality of a food product, not necessarily its safety. When refrigerated at or below 40°F, a food may last longer. But infant formula, meat, and eggs should be consumed no later than “use by” dates.
3. a) “Best by” dates generally refer to peak freshness and flavor of a food, rather than its safety.
4. b) The average household of four loses $1,350-$2,275 by wasting food, according to data compiled by the Natural Resources Defense Council.
5. c) The USDA recommends following “use by” dates on meat. If there is no such date, whole cuts of raw beef, pork, and lamb
can be stored in a home fridge, at 40°F or below, for 3-5 days. Raw poultry and ground meat can be stored for only 1-2 days.
6. b) As a general rule, shredded or grated Parmesan should last up to 1 month, blocks of hard cheese 3-4 weeks, cream cheese
2 weeks, and cottage cheese 1 week.
7. a) Refrigerated, eggs will keep for 3-5 weeks, according to the USDA.
Get the FoodKeeper App!
Reduce waste by storing food properly and keeping it fresh longer with the free FoodKeeper app from foodsafety.gov. The site also offers food safety and storage tips.