Tired of string cheese and hard-boiled eggs? Break out of your snack rut with these completely satisfying mini meals, excerpted from JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet Cookbook. They are low in sugar and free of common allergens, including gluten, dairy, and soy.
What's Your Favorite Snack?
We asked our staff, "What's your favorite gluten-free snack?" Here's what they said:
- "Quest bars! They are gluten- and sugar-free and come in yummy flavors like White Chocolate Raspberry and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough." -Nicole Brechka, Editor in Chief
- "English cucumber dipped in raw hummus." - Vera Tweed, contributing editor
- "Rice cakes and fresh fruit." -Rachel Pilvinsky, contributing designer
- "Cashews, roasted and lightly salted. I buy them in one-serving-sized sealed bags so they're always fresh." -James Naples, copy editor
- "Call me old-school, but my go-to treat is citrus fruit, especially oranges. I just love them, and the extra vitamin C can't hurt." -Jerry Shaver, executive editor
- "I love Garden Lites Blueberry Muffins-they are free of gluten, soy, nuts, and dairy." -Lisa Dodson, Midwest ad manager
- "Peanut butter and sliced apples!" -Ann Nix, copy editor
- "Pumpkin seeds or dark chocolate with almonds." -Judi Nesnadny, marketing designer
Gluten-Free Foodie Finds
With the incredible selection of gluten-free foods and baking mixes at health food stores, you never need to eat a so-so snack again! Here are three standouts that we recommend.
Enjoy Life Foods Soft Baked Cookies Double Chocolate Brownies
Van's Natural Foods Say Cheese Gluten Free Crackers
Living NowGluten-Free Baking Mixes