Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 1
2018 marks Better Nutrition’s 80th year in print. Travel through time with us as we highlight popular diet and food trends by decade. In the spotlight this month: granola.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Granola (or Granula, as it was originally called) was invented in 1863 by James Caleb Jackson, who worked at a health spa in Dansville, N.Y. He believed in the power of nutrition, especially a mostly vegetarian diet focusing on fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed grains.
It wasn’t until the 1960s, though, that granola became a beloved breakfast treat—and a symbol of American counterculture, as hippies started to shun sugary cereals. Countless diet trends have come and gone since then, but granola, in cereals, bars, and snacks, remains a health food staple.
7 Foods that were introduced in the ’60s
- Chips Ahoy! cookies
- Tab diet soda
- McDonald’s Big Mac
- Cool Whip
View our Favorite Fruity Granola recipe.
The Story of Better Nutrition
Better Nutrion was founded by Jack Schwartz in 1938. Schwartz returned from the military with a business idea—start a magazine about nutrition. He loved helping friends and family find natural solutions to health problems, and he figured others would be interested in this too. He saw an opportunity to fill a niche and, at the same time, satisfy his passion for health and nutrition. And just like that, Better Nutrition magazine was born. Fall back in time with us this year as we revisit popular trends in nutrition, vitamins, recipes, and more with this limited-edition section.
80 Years of Better Nutrition:
- Better Nutrition in the 1930s – The Grapefruit Diet
- Better Nutrition in the 1940s – The Original Master Cleanse
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 1 – Gelatin Molds
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 2 – Wheat Germ
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 1 – Granola
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 2 – Fondue
- Better Nutrition in the 1970s, Adelle Davis
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 1 – Fit for Life
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 2 – Bran
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 1 – Low-Fat Diets
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 2 – Low-Carb Diets