Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
The pages of Better Nutrition, like many other magazines and cookbooks from the 1950s, were peppered with a hodgepodge of gelatin-based recipes. Everything from Jell-o-encased salads to scary-looking shrimp cocktail suspended in gelatin was in vogue. A little hard to stomach, but true. We found this Strawberry Mold recipe from the May 1954 issue of Better Nutrition, in a section called “Recipes for the Modern Housewife.” And you know what? It’s good! Made with fruit, honey, and sour cream, this refreshing dessert has a taste reminiscent of ambrosia. We hope you enjoy this retro sweet treat.
The Story of Better Nutrition
The Story of Better Nutrition was founded by Jack Schwartz in 1938. Schwartz returned from the military with a business idea—start a magazine about nutrition. He loved helping friends and family find natural solutions to health problems, and he figured others would be interested in this too. He saw an opportunity to fill a niche and, at the same time, satisfy his passion for health and nutrition. And just like that, Better Nutrition magazine was born.Fall back in time with us this year as we revisit popular trends in nutrition, vitamins, recipes, and more with this limited-edition section.
7 Foods that were introduced in the ’50s
- Hot Tamales
- Cheese Whiz
- TV dinners
- Sweet ‘n Low
- Diet Rite
View our Strawberry Mold recipe.
80 Years of Better Nutrition:
- Better Nutrition in the 1930s – The Grapefruit Diet
- Better Nutrition in the 1940s – The Original Master Cleanse
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 1 – Gelatin Molds
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 2 – Wheat Germ
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 1 – Granola
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 2 – Fondue
- Better Nutrition in the 1970s, Adelle Davis
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 1 – Fit for Life
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 2 – Bran
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 1 – Low-Fat Diets
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 2 – Low-Carb Diets