Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
If you were a hunk of cheese in the late 1960s, what was there to do? Get into a fondue pot and get ready for a party! What started in the 18th century in Switzerland as a way to stretch food dollars, became a social event in the late 1960s/early 1970s in the U.S., with cheese and chocolate fondue taking center stage at many dinner gatherings.
Although fondue has a reputation for being unhealthy, the main ingredients are anything but—cheese, wine, and seasonings. With a few tweaks, fondue makes a fun low-carb or keto meal. Here’s an easy recipe to try. Use a crockpot if you don’t own a fondue pot.
7 dishes that were popular in the ’60s
- Beef Stroganoff
- Chicken Croquettes
- French Onion Soup
- Waldorf Salad
- Swedish Meatballs
- Chicken Kiev
- Chiffon Pie
The Story of Better Nutrition
Better Nutrition was founded by Jack Schwartz in 1938. Schwartz returned from the military with a business idea—start a magazine about nutrition. He loved helping friends and family find natural solutions to health problems, and he figured others would be interested in this too. He saw an opportunity to fill a niche and, at the same time, satisfy his passion for health and nutrition. And just like that, Better Nutrition magazine was born. Fall back in time with us this year as we revisit popular trends in nutrition, vitamins, recipes, and more with this limited-edition section.
80 Years of Better Nutrition:
- Better Nutrition in the 1930s – The Grapefruit Diet
- Better Nutrition in the 1940s – The Original Master Cleanse
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 1 – Gelatin Molds
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 2 – Wheat Germ
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 1 – Granola
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 2 – Fondue
- Better Nutrition in the 1970s, Adelle Davis
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 1 – Fit for Life
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 2 – Bran
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 1 – Low-Fat Diets
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 2 – Low-Carb Diets