Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Want to boost your energy, brighten your skin, look younger, and build your resistance to colds? Go for the green. Spirulina, chlorella, wheat grass, and other green foods are among the most nutrient-dense compounds on the planet, providing a healing infusion of vitamins and minerals. In addition to smoothies, there are other tasty ways to sneak these superfoods into your diet. Here are 3 creative recipes to try:
• Green Decadence Frozen Dessert
• White Chocolate Mousse
• Leafy Greens Pesto
Green Decadence Frozen Dessert
Makes 16 servings
1 pound (about 4 large) very ripe, peeled bananas
¼ cup packed fresh mint leaves
½ cup green foods powder, vanilla or chocolate flavor
¾ cup honey
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup fresh lime juice
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Combine the first five ingredients in the work-bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth.
2. Transfer banana mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in lime juice, coconut milk, and vanilla extract.
3. Transfer mixture to a large casserole dish and freeze overnight before serving.
White Chocolate Mousse
4 oz. white chocolate
2 Tbs. maple syrup
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup Greek yogurt
2 tsp. green foods powder, vanilla flavor
2 Tbs. pistachios, chopped
1. In a microwave-safe dish, melt the chocolate in 30–45 second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Set aside.
2. Place maple syrup and heavy cream in a medium mixing bowl and, with a handheld mixer, beat the heavy cream until it resembles soft peaks. Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer. Carefully fold in the Greek yogurt followed by the melted chocolate and green foods powder until the chocolate and yogurt are incorporated.
3. Divide mixture between four individual glasses. Place mousse glasses in the refrigerator for at least 2–3 hours to set. Garnish with chopped pistachios before serving.
Leafy Greens Pesto
8 oz. collard, kale, or mustard greens, tough stems trimmed
¼ cup pecans
¼ cup Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
2–3 tsp. green foods powder (unflavored)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
¼ cup sage leaves
2/3 cup olive oil
½ tsp. salt, optional
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Blanch greens in large pot of boiling salted water 3 minutes. Refresh under cold water. Drain, pat dry, and tear into pieces.
2. Pulse pecans, Parmesan, green foods powder, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add collard and sage leaves, and pulse until greens are finely chopped. With motor running, add oil in steady stream, and process until smooth. Season with salt (if using) and pepper.