7 Reasons to Use Salt Soaks & Scrubs
Healing mineral baths salts and scrubs can do wonders for your body and mind.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. Get a Healthy Dose of Minerals
Bath salts are packed with key minerals for inside-out health:
- Magnesium helps the nervous system, eases stress, and can relieve water retention.
- Calcium strengthens bones and nails.
- Potassium plays a role in nerve function, muscle control, and blood pressure.
- Bromides in the salts heal and relax your muscles.
- Sodium promotes a healthy immune system and proper fluid balance.
2. Soothe Aches & Calm Your Mind
If you lead an active lifestyle, and particularly if you work out, a long soak in a tub with mineral-rich bath salts can reduce muscle soreness and joint pain, help you unwind, and even lower blood pressure.
3. Get Ready for Sleep
If you suffer from insomnia, or have a difficult time getting to sleep, a warm mineral bath before bedtime can improve your sleep.
4. Purify Your Body
A soak with mineral salts cleanses, hydrates, and detoxifies your skin. It also stimulates circulation and cellular regeneration, and leaves your skin soft and smooth.
5. Brighten & Soften Your Skin
For even softer and smoother skin, exfoliate with a scrub once or twice a week. As skin matures, its natural ability to shed old surface cells and renew itself slows down. This causes a buildup of dry, dull flakes that give skin a rough, uneven texture and aged appearance. Ridding the dead top layer allows skin to breathe, and it can absorb nourishing and moisturizing products much more effectively.
6. Retain Skin’s Moisture
Most scrubs obtain their exfoliating action from sea salt, raw sugar, or finely ground plant seeds. They are blended with jojoba, coconut, macadamia, avocado, sunflower, and sweet almond oils to moisturize and prevent water loss.
7. Elevate Your Mood
Boost your clean by choosing scents to match your mood, such as soothing and relaxing lavender, geranium, or sweet orange essential oil; or energizing and invigorating mint, ginger, or grapefruit essential oils.
1. Get glowing with Trilogy Exfoliating Body Balm. A buttery-textured blend of pure rosehip and sweet almond oils and beeswax nourishes, softens, and hydrates skin, while finely ground rosehip seed powder gently buffs and refines skin texture. This scrub leaves your skin silky smooth, moisturized, and glowing.
2. Slough away every trace of dead skin with Alba Botanica Hawaiian Body Scrub Revitalizing Sea Salt. Rejuvenating Pacific sea salts detox and exfoliate skin, while jojoba, macadamia, avocado, sunflower, and sweet almond oils soften and hydrate. Grapefruit, lime, and orange peel oils awaken your senses.
Did You Know?
Sea salts are rich in potassium, which helps treat water retention and rid the body and skin of toxins.
3. Submerge your stress with Earth Therapeutics Aromatherapy Sea of Tranquility Anti-Stress Bath. Pure concentrated marine salts rich in bromides, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous turn bath water into a mineral-rich elixir that draws out impurities, relaxes sore muscles, and relieves stiff joints. Chamomile, lavender, and sweet orange oils soothe and calm the mind so tension and fatigue melt away.
4. Turn an ordinary tub into a spa treatment with Dr Teal’s Ultra Moisturizing Bath Bombs. Mineral-rich Epsom and sea salts are combined with hydrating almond, jojoba, and sunflower oils; skin-softening sodium bicarbonate; and essential oils that benefit your skin and your mood. Choose from Eucalyptus & Spearmint (shown below), Lavender, Pink Himalayan Salt, and Coconut Oil.
5. Get comfort from cold and flu symptoms with Earth Based Body Crystal Clear Decongestant Soak. Sprinkle four to six scoops of this aromatic blend of sea salts, menthol crystals, and eucalyptus, peppermint, and rosemary essential oils into your bath to reduce congestion, help open up blocked sinuses, and clear your head. The soak is therapeutic in the bath or in a bowl as a face steam. Packed in an apothecary jar with cork and spoon, the bath soak is also available in Muscle, Beauty, Calming, and Detox varieties.