The same antioxidant-packed fruits and veggies that boost your health can also do wonders for your skin and hair.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Superfruits and vegetables, packed with powerful antioxidants, are cropping up in face creams, serums, eye creams, cleansers, masks, body lotions, and hair care products. These multitasking antioxidants detox your skin and scalp, hydrate skin and hair, help boost collagen production, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, help repair sun damage, fade age spots, and fight acne and breakouts.
Not all produce is created equal. Six colorful superfoods—açai, berries, oranges, pomegranate, avocado, and mushrooms—are especially chockful of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, polyphenols, flavonoids, and other nutrients that feed your skin.
- Açai is an anti-aging powerhouse. It restores the skin’s elasticity levels, moisturizes, and instantly relieves dry cracked skin.
- Berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries) improve the skin’s clarity, firmness, and glow, and alleviate redness and inflammation.
- Oranges tone skin, balance oil production, help prevent lines and wrinkles, and reduce sunburn, blemishes, and dark spots.
- Pomegranates help skin cell generation, even skin tone, and fight acne-causing bacteria and sun damage.
- Avocados hydrate skin and hair, encourage healthy skin cell function, and improve skin’s barrier function.
- Mushrooms help improve irritated skin, acne, rosacea, and eczema. They hydrate skin and protect against wrinkles and discoloration caused by environmental damage. Mushrooms were originally used to lighten skin (kojic acid, a well-known skin-lightener, is found in shiitake mushrooms).
1. Get glowing skin as you wash away dirt, oil, and makeup
With Acure Brightening Cleansing Gel. Pomegranates, blackberries, and açai are packed with polyphenols that counter free radicals and increase blood flow. These superfruits are also anti-inflammatory and have the power to soothe skin while repairing surface cells and deterring wrinkles.
2. Purify inside and out
With Four Sigmatic Mushroom Face Mask & Tonic. Reishi and chaga mushrooms combined with powdered cacao, cinnamon, nutmeg, charcoal, ginseng, gotu kola, and ginger make an organic face mask that’s good enough to drink. A weekly mask clears pores, smooths fine lines, hydrates, and reduces redness, while a daily tonic helps you stress less, sleep better, and detox.
3. Fight shine and breakouts
With Pacifica Pore Warrior Booster Serum. Extracts of raspberry and black currant help limit sebum oxidations, protect your skin’s natural barrier, and help correct uneven skin tone. Niacinamide helps regulate oil production, protects skin, and improves the appearance of enlarged pores. This concentrated serum is best for oily and combination skin.
4. Hydrate thirsty strands from roots to ends
With John Masters Organics Conditioner for Dry Hair with Lavender & Avocado. Nutrient-rich avocado, lavender, and jojoba seed oils intensely moisturize and strengthen hair without weighing it down. Hair is left shiny and soft with a light lavender scent. It’s ideal for hair parched by dry winter winds and indoor heating.
5. Invigorate your skin
With Annemarie Börlind Orange Blossom Energizer. Orange extract and orange blossom water, along with carrot and beet extracts, refresh your skin and help protect it from environmentally induced premature aging. Jojoba and macadamia nut oils moisturize and boost tired skin tone and elasticity.