Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
It seems that an apple a day keeps the dermatologist away. This iconic fruit is packed with vitamins and antioxidants that nourish skin when eaten or applied topically. Apples contain vitamin C, which helps make collagen, a crucial structural component of skin. Vitamin C also helps maintain your skin’s waterproof barrier.
Apples also are a source of copper, an essential mineral that helps you make melanin, the pigment that protects skin from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. It also makes up an essential part of other tissues, including your eyes and hair. No wonder extracts of the fruit and juice are being added to skin and hair cleansers, serums, creams, and more. Some highlights:
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural remedy for psoriasis, acne, and bad breath. The acidity in vinegar can help clear skin and stop acne by drying out blemishes. Used as a toner, apple cider vinegar can help regulate pH levels, balancing skin that is too oily or too dry. A rinse with apple cider vinegar will give your hair body and shine, and stimulate growth.
- Apple juice can also act as a natural toner and astringent. Apply to the face with cotton balls to tighten pores and restore your skin’s pH balance, replenishing moisture to your skin.
- Stem cells from the Uttwiler Spätlauber apple were shown to regenerate and protect human skin cells. In a study published in the International Journal for Applied Science, they increased in vivo cell turnover and UV resistance. These cells can renew dormant cells, repair damaged cells, and regenerate healthy cells. They also defend against harmful ultraviolet rays, as well as oxidative and environmental stress.
1. Brighten and smooth your skin with Jurlique Fruit Enzyme Exfoliator. Apple extract, sugar cane, lemon, and green tea promote cell turnover for clearer skin. Indigenous Australian desert fruits and pumpkin enzyme gently exfoliate. Prickly pear extract hydrates and makes your skin feel firmer.
2. Moisturize and even skin tone with MyChelle Dermaceuticals Apple Brightening Cream. Powerful apple stem cells and daisy flower extract smooth and lighten age spots and sun damage. Extracts of blood orange, white grapefruit, and grape seed, plus jojoba and macadamia nut oils, hydrate and plump your skin.
3. Rejuvenate your skin with Reviva Labs Stem Cell Booster Serum. Stem cells from the rare Swiss Uttwiler Spätlauber apple repair aging and damaged skin, improve skin texture, and help prevent wrinkles. Use alone or layer under day or night cream as a catalyst to accelerate their effects. Ideal for all skin types, especially mature skin affected by sun and pollution.
4. Desert Essence Green Apple & Ginger Shampoo and Conditioner are sulfate- and paraben-free products that contain a blend of nourishing herbs and antioxidants, including green apple, ginger, maca, and jojoba. The fresh scent of tart green apples and spicy ginger will help get you going in the morning, too!