For instant intrigue, few spices can match the allure of harissa. This Middle Eastern paste, made from roasted red peppers richly layered with spices and herbs, is fragrant, fiery hot, and easy to use. Transform any meal from ordinary to exotic with these simple recipes:
- In a large skillet, simmer 1 can chopped tomatoes, 2 Tbs. harissa and 2 Tbs. olive oil until bubbly. Add 2 cups chopped baby spinach and cook until wilted. Carefully crack 4 large eggs into skillet, cover, and cook until eggs are set.
- Whisk together 1-2 Tbs. harissa with ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup yogurt, ½ tsp. cumin, and 1 Tbs. minced cilantro
in a small bowl for a quick sandwich spread or sauce.
- Mix 2 Tbs. harissa with 1 Tbs. honey and 2 Tbs. each olive oil, minced parsley, and chives. Toss two chopped sweet potatoes with sauce and roast in a 400°F oven for 25-30 minutes, or until tender.
- In a medium pot, bring 1 can coconut milk, 2 Tbs. harissa, ½ tsp. cumin, and 1 small minced shallot to a boil. Add
1 cup couscous, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in 2 Tbs. each golden raisins, sliced almonds, and minced parsley, and serve hot.
- Combine 1 can chickpeas, ¼ cup tahini, 1-2 Tbs. harissa, and the juice of one lemon in a food processor. Purée until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper for a spicy hummus.