Balanced hormones can improve your mood, energy level, and metabolism. Here are some simple ways to do it, from naturopathic doctor Alan Christianson, NMD, author of The Adrenal Reset Diet and founder of Integrative Health in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Start the day with sun. Get some rays within an hour of waking up, even if it's cold or cloudy. If it's ridiculously cold, enjoy your morning brew or breakfast near a window or on a sunny porch.
- Eat protein at every meal (including breakfast). Protein keeps blood sugar balanced, which helps to keep hormones in line. If you don't feel like lean meat, poultry, or fish, can't tolerate eggs, or are vegan, have some rice and/or pea protein powder.
- Eat chlorophyll. The green pigment in plants cleans out the toxins that disrupt
hormones. Aim for 3 cups daily of leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, and any lettuces.
- Sleep. Getting less than you need-between 7 and 9 hours for most people-throws fat-regulating hormones, such as insulin, completely out of whack.
- Bathe in Epsom salts. The magnesium in Epsom salts relaxes muscles and enhances restful sleep. Do it at least 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Eat organic. Pesticides upset hormones. Going organic for berries and any dairy products is especially important.
- Read a book. It's a great way to unwind, especially before going to sleep-much better than using electronic devices, which emanate light that keeps you awake.
- Dance like nobody is watching. Doing any type of aerobic exercise you enjoy will relax you, perk up your mood, and help you sleep better.