Want to join a gym to get in shape for summer? Here are some ways to cut down membership costs:
- Many health clubs offer free passes, ranging from one day to a week or more, and some sell short-term passes for a small fee. Use these to try before you buy, because the most expensive membership is the one you rarely-or never-use.
- Check out coupon sites, such as Groupon (groupon.com), for health-club offers.
- Consider local community centers, which may offer what you need for a lower fee.
- In New York, Chicago, Houston, and Los Angeles, a $75 Passbook from the American Health and Fitness Alliance (health-fitness.org) gives you hundreds of guest passes to different local clubs and studios. If you decide to join one, $75 is deducted from the membership fee.
- See if your health insurance plan offers discounted health club memberships.