Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
1. Which type of food provides the greatest number of calories in the average American diet:
d) Soda and other sweetened drinks
2. On average, it’s estimated that American adults consume how many calories daily?
3. Although individual needs vary, it’s estimated that a woman who is 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 126 pounds needs about how many calories per day?
4. Protein and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram. Fat, which is more calorie-dense, contains how many calories per gram?
5. A man who is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 154 pounds needs about how many calories per day?
6. Alcohol contains fewer calories per gram than food.
c) It depends on the food
7. Which type of fat provides the most calories in the average diet?
a) Fat in plant foods such as nuts and avocados
b) Plant oils
c) Animal fat such as butter and fat in meats
8. Which of these contains the least calories?
a) A medium apple
b) A medium banana
c) 1 cup of broccoli, chopped
Get the App
To see how many calories you’re consuming, try the MyFitnessPal app or track online at myfitnesspal.com.
1. c) Grain, which provides an average of about 581 daily calories, is the top source of calories in the American diet, according to the latest report from the Economic Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
2. a) Estimates vary from a low of 2,500 to 3,500 daily.
3. b) According to U.S. government estimates, such a woman needs about 1,600-2,400 calories daily, depending on her level of physical activity.
4. d) Fat contains 9 calories per gram.
5. c) According to U.S. government estimates, such a man needs 2,000-3,000 calories daily, depending on his level of physical activity.
6. c) Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, which is more than protein and carbohydrates (4 calories each) but less than fat (9 calories).
7. b) Plant oils added to foods, chiefly packaged and restaurant food, are the largest source of fat, according to the latest USDA report. Because these oils are typically refined, they are not healthy fats. Cold-pressed, unrefined oils can be healthy fat sources.
8. c) There are about 31 calories in one cup of chopped broccoli, 95 calories in a medium apple (3 inches in diameter), and 105 calories in a medium banana (7-8 inches long).