Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Per serving (Base Cheez): 120 cal; 3g prot; 11g total fat (2g sat fat); 4g carb; 0mg chol; 75mg sod; 1g fiber; 1g sugar
Per serving (Cran-Orange Pecan Cheez): 150 cal; 3g prot; 13g total fat (2g sat fat); 8g carb; 0mg chol; 75mg sod; 1g fiber; 4g sugar
Per serving (Everything Bagel Cheez): 140 cal; 4g prot; 12g total fat (2g sat fat); 5g carb; 0mg chol; 75mg sod; 1g fiber; 1g sugar
1. Cover nuts with water in separate bowls, and soak 8 hours or overnight. Discard soak water, rinse well, and combine nuts in high-speed blender. Add spring water, and blend mixture until smooth. Add probiotic powder, and stir well.
2. Transfer mixture to clean nut milk bag, and twist until cheez is tightly bound, but not squishing out. Use string or rubber band to secure top, and place bundle into fine mesh stainless steel strainer over bowl. (If you don’t have a nut milk bag, you can spoon the cheez directly into the center of your strainer.) Cover lightly with clean dish towel, and place in a warmish area to drain and culture for 24 hours.
3. When cheez is cultured, turn it out into a bowl. Stir in lemon juice, nutritional yeast, if using, and salt. Divide into two equal batches, and place in separate bowls.
4. Into one bowl, fold cranberries, pecans, and zest into Base Cheez. Taste and add more, if desired.
5. Into second bowl, add sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, poppy seeds, paprika, and flake salt to Base Cheez, and stir to mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
6. Store cheezes in 2 covered glass containers in refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze extra for use within 2 months.Base Cheez