Açai-Balsamic Glazed Roasted Root and Quinoa Bowl
Açai bowls don’t have to be sweet. In fact, you can upgrade any recipe with this nutrient-dense, dark-blue berry.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This colorful dinner bowl takes a savory spin on our favorite superfruit, with a balsamic glaze that highlights its earthy-fruity flavor. Cutting the roots into smallish cubes makes them cook faster and more evenly, and ensures an even glaze. Vary the roots as you’d like—turnips, carrots, and rutabaga are excellent additions—or add tempeh during the last 10 minutes of cooking for extra protein.
Try it: Sambazon Pure Unsweetened Frozen Açaí Packets
- 1/4 cup thawed frozen açai purée
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 6 large garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press or very finely minced
- 2 Tbs. finely minced rosemary leaves
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium golden beets, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium turnip, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup packed finely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or chopped cashews or pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat two large, rimmed baking sheets with olive oil.
- In large mixing bowl, combine açai purée, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, garlic, and rosemary. Whisk to combine well. Add sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, turnip, and onion to bowl, and stir or toss to coat evenly.
- Spread vegetables in single layer on baking sheets. Roast 10 minutes. Stir vegetables and rotate pans for even cooking. Continue roasting 15–20 minutes more, until vegetables are just tender. Remove baking sheets from oven and stir in spinach.
- To serve, divide quinoa among six bowls. Mound vegetables on top, and sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Calories 390
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 80 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g