Arugula and Blackberry Salad with Grapefruit-Basil Vinaigrette
This colorful salad is packed with nutrients, including antioxidant-rich blackberries. Use fresh grapefruit juice if possible, or for variety, use a mixture of orange, lime, and other citrus. The dressing emphasizes basil, but thyme, rosemary, and tarragon are excellent options as well.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 tsp. honey or agave
- 2 Tbs. minced basil
- 1 Tbs. minced shallot
- 5 oz. baby arugula leaves (one small clamshell)
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese (optional)
1. In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine olive oil, grapefruit juice, honey or agave, basil, and shallot. Screw lid on tightly and shake well to blend; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine arugula and jicama. Drizzle with just enough dressing to lightly coat leaves and toss to mix. Add blackberries and avocado and toss gently.
3. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper, and add goat cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 10 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g