Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
For more about this recipe: Summer Steak Salad
Notes from The Clean Food Coach: If you have 10 more minutes, slice a whole yellow onion into rings. Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in a clean skillet over medium heat, add the onion slices, and sauté with pinches of salt, pepper, and sugar until soft and translucent. Replace the raw red onion with warmed, caramelized yellow onion.
- Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Spray large skillet or grill pan with cooking spray to lightly coat. Heat pan to medium-high (the pan is ready when you touch a fatty edge of the steak to the center and it sizzles quickly). Cook steak, 4–6 minutes per side for medium rare, slicing steak open to check for desired doneness.
- While steak is cooking, combine lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers in large bowl, and toss gently to combine. In small bowl, whisk together molasses, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and nutmeg.
- When steak is finished, remove from pan and reduce heat to low. Slice steak thickly across the grain, and lay over prepared salad. Pour molasses mixture into cooled pan and stir quickly until heated through, about 1 minute. Drizzle lightly over salad, and serve.
- Calories 170
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 3.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 75 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g