For more Mardi Gras Remix recipes - Mardi Gras Remix
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 4 cups stale gluten-free bread cubes (about 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 3 large, very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/4 cup rum or 1 Tbs. rum extract
- 2 Tbs. melted butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 9x5-inch loaf pan with oil or cooking spray, and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, egg, egg whites, brown sugar, 1 Tbs. vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Add bread cubes, and stir gently to mix. Stir in currants. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring frequently to keep bread cubes coated in liquid.
- While bread is soaking, combine bananas, rum or rum extract, melted butter if using, and remaining 2 tsp. vanilla in a blender. Purée until very smooth and creamy.
- Spoon half of bread mixture into prepared loaf pan. Drizzle some of the banana sauce over bread mixture. Spoon remaining bread mixture into pan, on top of sauce. Bake 45 minutes, or until set in center.
- While bread pudding is baking, warm remaining banana sauce mixture if desired (it can also be served at room temperature). To serve, remove bread pudding from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces, and serve immediately with banana sauce drizzled on top.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Cholesterol Content: 70 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 105 mg
- Sugar Content: 21 g