Barley & Chicken Bowls
This probiotic- and prebiotic-packed recipe nourishes your gut.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Recipe from our sister publication, Cuisine at Home (cuisineathome).
For more about this recipe: 7 Probiotic and Prebiotic Foods
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 8 oz. carrots, trimmed, peeled, halved lengthwise (if large), and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 oz. Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), sliced
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. broccolini, trimmed
- 1 cup plain whole milk kefir
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
- 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced picked onions (we like Pernicious Pickling Co. Red Onion Sweet-and-Sour)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook barley according to package directions.
- Toss carrots and Jerusalem artichokes with 2 Tbs. oil, season with salt and pepper, and spread in single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Toss broccolini with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, season with salt and pepper, and spread in single layer on second parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast 10–12 minutes.
- Whisk together kefir, chives, Dijon, Beau Monde seasoning, garlic, vinegar, dill, and celery seeds. Season with pepper.
- When vegetables have finished roasting, divide barley, chicken, vegetables, and pickled onions among four bowls. Serve with dressing.
- Calories 620
- Carbohydrate Content 69 g
- Cholesterol Content 105 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 46 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 450 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g