An Avocado a Day …
Want to boost your fiber, healthy fat, and nutrient intake in the most delicious way possible? Give avocados a starring role in your diet.
When it comes to genius food pairings, avocado is up there with the classics—bread and butter, peanut butter and chocolate, and yes, guacamole and chips! The beloved avocado, technically a fruit, adds that certain something to almost any dish (what would a turkey sandwich or juicy burger be without sliced avocado?). It’s a superfood with a sublime taste. Here are the impressive stats: One-third of a medium avocado adds 3 grams of fiber. The clean, unsaturated fat in avocados—6 grams per servings—acts as a nutrient booster by enhancing the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (e.g., A, D, K, and E) in the foods you eat. Can you tell, the Better Nutrition staff just can’t get enough avocados!
Recipe courtesy of Fresh Avocados – Love One Today. Visit for many more.
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup hummus
- 1 cup frozen organic corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 1 cup organic cottage cheese
- ½ cup pico de gallo, store-bought or homemade
- 1 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbs. scallions, sliced
Layer ingredients, in order listed, into four small glasses or jars, dividing evenly. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 520 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g