Bison Antipasto Skewers with Pesto Dipping Sauce
Chunks of tender marinated bison are the stars in these grilled kebabs. Tasty vegetables and a delicious pesto dipping sauce turn them into a complete meal.Recipe courtesy of The Bison Council (bisoncouncil.com).
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 lb. trimmed bison steak
- 2 6-oz. jars marinated artichoke pieces, drained
- 3 cups grape tomatoes (24 tomatoes)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto
1. In medium bowl whisk together oil and vinegar until combined. Stir in garlic.
2. Trim the bison steaks and cut into ¾-inch cubes. Add meat to marinade, and toss to coat. Marinate up to 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 4 hours in refrigerator. Remove meat and discard remaining marinade.
3. Soak 24 6-inch bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes; drain.
4. Place one piece of artichoke about 2 inches from point of each skewer, then add 1 tomato and 1 piece of meat on end of each skewer. Skewers may be made to this point up to a day ahead and stored in refrigerator in an airtight container.
5. Spray grill or large grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Season meat on skewers with salt and pepper. Place skewers on grill, and cook 3–4 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. (Cook skewers in batches if using grill pan.)
6. To serve, arrange skewers on platter with small bowl of pesto sauce for dipping.
- Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 470 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g