Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers with Garlicky Chipotle Mayo
This all-star recipe is packed with protein, loaded with fiber, and easy to grill.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Beyond Burgers are great, but sometimes, you just want to make your own from scratch. And thats where these simple-yet-delicious black bean burgers come in. Using a grill basket not only keeps burgers from falling apart during turning, but segregates your vegan offerings from the rest of the crew. Rainy days? Bake these in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes, turning once. For more great vegan BBQ recipes, see: Get Your Grill on with These Vegan BBQ Recipes.
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers with Garlicky Chipotle Mayo recipe
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 medium baked or roasted sweet potato, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed in a garlic press or very finely minced
- Preheat grill to medium. Combine beans, sweet potato, quinoa, flax, onion, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Mash beans with a potato masher into an even consistency. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Using your hands, form mixture into 6 burgers; generously brush both sides of burgers with olive oil and arrange on grill basket. Grill 8-10 minutes on each side.
- While burgers are cooking, combine mayonnaise, chipotle, and garlic in small bowl. Mix well. To serve, spread chipotle mayonnaise on both sides of burger buns. Arrange avocado slices and arugula on bottom halves, if using. Top with burgers and top halves of buns, and serve immediately.
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 400 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g