Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Beyond Burgers are great, but sometimes, you just want to make your own from scratch. And thats where these simple-yet-delicious black bean burgers come in. Using a grill basket not only keeps burgers from falling apart during turning, but segregates your vegan offerings from the rest of the crew. Rainy days? Bake these in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes, turning once. For more great vegan BBQ recipes, see: Get Your Grill on with These Vegan BBQ Recipes.
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers with Garlicky Chipotle Mayo recipe
- Preheat grill to medium. Combine beans, sweet potato, quinoa, flax, onion, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Mash beans with a potato masher into an even consistency. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Using your hands, form mixture into 6 burgers; generously brush both sides of burgers with olive oil and arrange on grill basket. Grill 8-10 minutes on each side.
- While burgers are cooking, combine mayonnaise, chipotle, and garlic in small bowl. Mix well. To serve, spread chipotle mayonnaise on both sides of burger buns. Arrange avocado slices and arugula on bottom halves, if using. Top with burgers and top halves of buns, and serve immediately.
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 400 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g