Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
This recipe calls for sugar and regular flour, so it’s definitely a splurge-type treat. To make it healthier, you can easily swap these out with a natural sweetener (see notes below) and gluten-free or paleo-friendly flour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F; butter 8×8-inch glass baking dish. Gently toss together blueberries, sugar, lemon, & tapioca; place in baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, 5-spice and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg and sugar lightly. Add buttermilk and melted butter, whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just evenly moistened; do not overmix.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls onto top of blueberries and flatten slightly. (It does not need to be a continuous crust.) Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until filling is bubbling and crust is firm to the touch. Serve warm.
- Serving Size 1 serving
- Calories 170
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 180 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g