This bowl is so much fun with butternut squash noodles, you may not ever go back to regular udon! For successful spiralizing, use the straightest squash you can find, and when peeling, take off more skin than you think you need to for the most uniform results.
For more about this recipe: Get Inspiralized!
4 cups whole spinach leaves, stems removed
2 tsp. tamari
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 medium butternut squash
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 Tbs. mirin
3 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife
3 1/8-inch slices ginger
12 large prawns, back vein removed, tails on
1 small red pepper, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (1/8th inch)
2 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 Tbs. black sesame seeds (substitute brown sesame seeds)
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach, and cook 1 minute. Remove from boiling water with slotted spoon, and drain well. Transfer to small bowl, and sprinkle with tamari and sesame oil. Return water to a boil.
- Cut bulbous end from butternut squash, peel straight top, and spiralize into long strips. Add squash to boiling water, and cook 5 minutes, until just tender but still very firm. Drain, and set aside.
- In medium pot, combine chicken stock, mirin, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 4 minutes. Add prawns, and cook 3–5 minutes more, until prawns are cooked through. Remove garlic and ginger from pot, and discard.
- Divide noodles among serving bowls. In one third of the bowl, tuck red pepper strips on a diagonal into noodles, allowing them to extend about an inch above the surface. In another third of the bowl, arrange spinach in a small pile next to peppers. Arrange scallion strips between peppers and spinach. Arrange 3 prawns in the center of each bowl. Pour broth over bowl, shower with black sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 850 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g