Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join Today!.
If you can’t find packaged prune purée, it’s easy enough to make your own. Simply place 2 cups prunes and 11/2 Tbs. vanilla extract in a food processor, and process for 30 seconds. Add about 3/4 cup of water in steady stream through feed tube with motor running. Blend until smooth. You can store the purée in a covered container in refrigerator; it will keep for three weeks.
Carrot Muffins with Prune Purée
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour muffin pan cups.
- In large bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. In medium bowl, pour in eggs, oil, prune purée, milk, and both sugars, and mix until thoroughly blended. Stir in carrots, pineapple, and raisins. Add to flour mixture, and stir just until mixed.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups filling them three-quarters full. Bake until muffins are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack, and cool completely.
- Calories 153
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 3.5 g
- Fiber Content 1.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content >1 g
- Sodium Content 129 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g