Here's an awesome high-protein vegetarian main course (or vegan if you eliminate the cheese). Use the leftover pesto sauce for pasta. We used flatbreads from Cali'flour Foods, which are crazy good—grain-free, gluten-free, and just 50 calories per flatbread!
2 cups sliced wild mushrooms (chanterelles or shiitakes are best)
3 Tbs. crumbled French feta (Valbreso brand is my choice)
2 Tbs. toasted pine nuts
1 bunch watercress, large stems removed (about 1½ cups)
1 cup loosely packed Italian Parsley leaves
A generous handful of fresh basil leaves (about 1 cup)
1 Tbs. fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. Real Salt kosher salt
A generous grind of black pepper
Snipped fresh chives for garnish
- To make pesto: In food processor, pulse pine nuts a couple times. Add watercress, parsley, basil, lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Process until puréed, but not smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté until softened, but not mushy, about 5–7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place flatbreads on perforated pan (like a pizza-heating pan) lined with parchment paper, and bake 10–14 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread each flatbread with 1/2 Tbs. pesto, and top with mushrooms and cheese. Return to oven to warm through. Garnish with snipped chives, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 460 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g