Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Here’s an awesome high-protein vegetarian main course (or vegan if you eliminate the cheese). Use the leftover pesto sauce for pasta. We used flatbreads from Cali’flour Foods, which are crazy good—grain-free, gluten-free, and just 50 calories per flatbread!
- To make pesto: In food processor, pulse pine nuts a couple times. Add watercress, parsley, basil, lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Process until puréed, but not smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté until softened, but not mushy, about 5–7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place flatbreads on perforated pan (like a pizza-heating pan) lined with parchment paper, and bake 10–14 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread each flatbread with 1/2 Tbs. pesto, and top with mushrooms and cheese. Return to oven to warm through. Garnish with snipped chives, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 460 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g