Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Punjabi-style saag curry is heavy on the cream and butter, and usually cooked with lamb. This lighter, vegetarian version of the creamy classic uses coconut milk for a more healthful twist.
See more recipes and stories about curries from around the world.
- Warm oil and ghee in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cardamom, cinnamon, curry, and cumin. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are just tender. Add garlic, ginger, salt, and white pepper; cook 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, 10 minutes, until chickpeas are soft.
- Add spinach, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until spinach is just wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide among six serving plates, garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with basmati rice, if desired.
- Calories 235
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 7 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 455 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g