For more Cinco de Mayo recipes: Cinco de Mayo Spa Cuisine
Food photography by Pornchai Mittongtare
Food styling by Jeanne Kelley
Prop styling by Robin Turk
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 4 large, very ripe avocados
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- Juice of 2 small lime
- On a gas range, set wire rack over burner, turn flame to high, and char pepper on all sides, turning once or twice with tongs. Alternatively, char pepper in oven under a broiler set on high. Transfer charred pepper to small bowl, cover with a dish towel, and lets stand 5 minutes, until just cool enough to handle. Rub off skin with dishtowel, then halve and remove seeds.
- While peppers are charring, halve avocados, remove pits, and scoop flesh into a medium bowl. Add onion and cilantro.
- Purée peas, lime juice, and charred pepper until smooth, and add to guacamole. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 10 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g