Recipe by Alexandra Borgia, a chef instructor at the New York City-based Natural Gourmet Institute. Learn more at naturalgourmetinstitute.com
Did You Know?
You can bake and microwave with chia seeds; however, avoid frying them.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line half-sheet tray with parchment paper. Sift flours, baking powder, and salt in medium- sized bowl. Whisk to combine. Add chia seeds and sesame seeds. Cut coconut oil into flour mixture until it is crumbly and coated in flour. (Crumbles should be like coarse bread crumbs.) Pour in soy milk, and gently mix with rubber spatula until just combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured table and gently roll out to shape of rectangle, about ¼-inch thick. With long edge facing you, fold in both ends to meet in middle. Fold dough forward in half, and very gently roll together to ¾ inch.
- Cut biscuits with lightly floured cookie cutter or sharp knife, and transfer to sheet tray. Bake 6 minutes, and rotate pan in oven to ensure even browning. Continue baking another 10 minutes, or until golden brown on top and slightly firm to touch. Transfer to rack, and cool.
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 470 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g